Withdrawals and Refunds
Candidates registered for an administration of the exam who withdraw their registration or are absent from an administration of the exam.
Optometry Examining Board of Canada (OEBC) is committed to administering the national entry-to-practice examination for optometry in Canada, in a manner that is fair and equitable to all exam candidates.
- Candidates who withdraw from the exam within 14 days after the application deadline will be provided a full refund, minus the administrative fee.
- Candidates who withdraw from the exam 15 calendar days or more after the application deadline OR are absent on the day of the will normally receive no refund for any reason, except an exceptional circumstance in which case the candidate may apply to OEBC for a refund of up to 50% of the exam fee.
Exceptional circumstances: may be defined as circumstances beyond the control of the candidate such as illness, an accident, emergency, bereavement, which require documentation satisfactory to the Chief Executive Officer of OEBC.
Procedure for withdrawing within 14 days:
- Candidates may withdraw their registration for the examination by contacting the exam coordinator and making a request in writing using the Exam Withdrawal Form as per the deadlines indicated in this policy. The completed form may be mailed to the OEBC office at: Optometry Examining Board of Canada, 37 Sandiford Drive Suite 403, Stouffville ON L4A 3Z2; or emailed to: email@example.com.
- A refund will be issued in the form of a mailed cheque within 30 days of receipt of the withdrawal request.
Procedure for withdrawing after 14 days:
- Candidates may withdraw their registration for the examination by contacting the exam coordinator and making a request in writing using the Exam Withdrawal Form as per the deadlines indicated in this policy. Candidates who seek a refund should proceed to step 2.
- Candidates who seek a refund must submit in writing supporting documentation (e.g. proof of illness, death certificate, accident report etc.) up to 30 calendar days after the Withdrawal Form was submitted to OEBC. Such submissions and documentation must identify the limits that the circumstance places on the candidate’s performance ability on the exam. The completed form and completed documentation may be mailed to the OEBC office at: Optometry Examining Board of Canada, 37 Sandiford Drive Suite 403, Stouffville ON L4A 3Z2; however if the request is 2-4 weeks before the exam the form should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Refunds will be considered by the Chief Executive Officer on a case-by-case basis. Decisions regarding refunds are final.
- OEBC will provide a response to requests for a refund due to exceptional circumstances within 30 calendar days of having received the written request including all necessary supporting documentation. Requests for refunds will not be considered without supporting documentation.
- Candidates who attempt the exam and withdraw at any time for any reason will have the attempt counted as an attempt.
If a candidate withdraws his or her exam registration, the cancelled registration and fee cannot be held, deferred or transferred to a future administration. The candidate must re-apply to register for a future exam administration.
- if a candidate withdraws his or her exam registration due to immigration issues or the need to obtain a travel visa this will not be considered an exceptional circumstance.
- if a candidate is no longer eligible to attempt the exam, for example due to failure to graduate with an OD degree, this will not be considered an exceptional circumstance.